It’s early days for MyKind, so this page will evolve with your questions.
Why does MyKind charge members $25 a month when some dating websites are free to join?
- MyKind is a social network – much more than a dating website. It covers the full spectrum from chatting and friendships to personal match-making and dating.
- For added safety, member applications are checked by a person in our team, whereas many free websites computer-process their members. Personalised service takes time – we don’t ask our staff to work for free!
- MyMatch, our match-making service, is also provided by a person in our team with a background in psychology and communication. They consider all the details in your application form, and find a match from what could be 100s or 1000s of other applicants. This could take days and costs us a lot more than $25 in time and dedication!
- As a comparison, the two biggest subscription-based sites in the USA are Match.com (US$42 a month) and eHarmony (US$60 a month); users can save by signing on for, say, a six-month package ($24 a month and $40 a month respectively).
- A decade ago, many sites were free or had minimal fees of around $20 a month (Match.com charged $9.95 a month when it launched in 1995). In the early days they needed to stock the sea of love with fish. The faster they attracted users, the more useful the site became.
- Free dating websites earn revenue from advertising. MyKind is looking for advertisers.
- When you consider the spectrum of options MyKind offers and the personal human service, $25 a month (0.80 cents a day) is cheap as chips.
- Experts say people are more likely to use a site if they pay for it.
Do I have to date?
No you don’t! Unlike dating websites where everyone would assume you’re on there to find a date, there’s no such expectation on MyKind. This is a social network representing the full spectrum from chatting and friendships to personal match-making and dating, so you choose where you feel comfortable on that spectrum. People who have never dated before can feel confident knowing there is no pressure to date.
Why is the free MyKind match-making service MyMatch not available right now?
In these early days with fewer members, it will be easy for you to browse potential matches for friends or dates yourself.
As we’ve just launched, we have only one part-time volunteer managing this site, so your patience is appreciated.
We’ll employ staff to provide free personal match-making for your friend or potential date when we have 2000+ regular paying members.
When MyMatch is available, why do I have to wait three months?
The average time to find someone on mainstream dating websites is three months. So take that time to get to know the site and check out members as they join.
When you’re familiar with MyKind and have tried to meet people, it will be easier for us to find a match for you. Why? Because you’ll have learned a few things from this experience – like what has been frustrating so far – and you’ll have a clearer picture of who you seek.
Remember, most people join introduction sites with an ‘ideal person’ in mind, then after a few months their perspective of ‘ideal’ changes, often dramatically. We need you to have put some effort in and got to this point, because good things take time. That way, if you do meet that special someone, you’ll appreciate the relationship so much more.
When you are at that point, don’t be surprised if – just when you think you might need match-making help – you find that person yourself!
After three months, if you haven’t found who you’re looking for, go to the Members page and click on MyMatch.